Home Town Centre Nature Footpaths Sports Education Churches
Wine & Dine Shops Fast Food Area History Letters

Biddulph Grange Gardens

Biddulph Grange Gardens

This remarkable Victorian garden has been painstakingly restored by the National Trust and survives as one of the best examples of its age. The lakeside is planted with rhododendrons, best seen in late summer.
Tel: 01782 517999

Area Tour: Next Location

The garden was constructed by James and Maria Bateman and their friend Edward Cooke, who was a marine painter. The Batemans moved to Biddulph Grange from Knypersley in 1840.

In 1871 the property was sold to Robert Heath, a Staffordshire industrialist. After extensive modifications the house was destroyed by fire in 1896. The rebuilt house was converted to a hospital in 1923 and the gardens suffered encroachment by hospital extensions and general neglect from about 1960.

An appeal was launched in 1986 to save the property and in April 1988 it was acquired by the National Trust who have embarked on an ambitious program to restore the garden to its former glory.

The 15 acre site is divided into individual theme gardens, each with its own special character.


Chinese garden

"China" has ornate temples, water and idols. The garden is accessed through a narrow tunnel which opens into the temple.

This garden was created to display the many exotic plants brought back from the far east by victorian collectors. The temple is decorated with gilded dragons, sea horses, hanging bells and carved grebes.

The intricate ceramic roof tiles have been replaced, following examples found at the bottom of the pool. One of these is on display in an exhibition in the main building.

Golden Idol

This golden idol overlooks the "China" garden. The sculpture, in the form of a gilded water buffalo, was created by Waterhouse Hawkins.


Stone lion

"Egypt" is an enclosed garden of clipped yew and stone sphinxes. This also features a tunnel at the entrance, inside which is the "Ape of Troth", probably also sculpted by Waterhouse Hawkins.
The background is made from yew trees clipped to form a pyramid with yew obelisks on either side.

Other Features

  • Western Terrace
  • Italian Garden
  • Lime Avenue
  • Rhododendron Ground
  • The Glen
  • Pinetum
  • Bowling Green and Quoit Ground
  • Cheshire Cottage
  • The Arboretum
  • Wellingtonia Avenue
  • The Stumpery
  • Dahlia Walk
  • Lower, Rose and Verbena Parterres
  • Araucaria Parterre
  • Cherry Orchard

Opening Times

29 Mar to 2 Nov: Wed - Fri 12.00 - 6.00
Sat + Sun + Bank Holiday Mondays 11.00 - 5.30
Guided Tours (groups of 10+) 5.00 UKP

The garden is unsuitable for those with walking difficulties because much if it can only be accessed via steep winding narrow paths.


Much work remains to be done in several areas such as the Wellingtonia Avenue, Egyptian Tomb and Mrs Bateman's Garden.
Anyone who would like to help can contact the Head Gardener on site or write to Biddulph Grange Garden Appeal, Freepost, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 4BR.


Biddulph Grange: A Victorian Garden Rediscovered ( NT & George Philip )

Last Update: 1 Aug 97

Home Town Centre Nature Footpaths Sports Education Churches
Wine & Dine Shops Fast Food Area History Letters